Edina Baseball Association Requirements to Coach:
1. Babe Ruth Certification (required for Green League, recommended for White, Senior Rec and Fall Leagues)
2. Concussion Training
3. Background Check
Babe Ruth Certification:
All coaches for the Green/Travel league are required to be certified through Babe Ruth Baseball in order to coach an Edina Baseball Association team. White/House league, Senior Rec league and Fall league coaches are recommended to be certified but NOT required. The Edina Baseball Association Board of Directors believe the certification process will enhance both the player and coach experience, and create consistency in philosophy and player development throughout the EBA. Certification is valid for 3 years and must be current in the age group you are coaching.
Coaches of players ages 10 - 12 will be required to take the "Coaching Youth Baseball" course, and coaches of players ages 13 - 15 will be required to take the "Coaching Advanced Baseball" course. There is no cost to you to take the course - the cost is paid by the EBA.
To get started, please follow these instructions:
2. Once you've created an account, send an email at
and let know which course you will be taking.
3. Once a course is assigned to you, you will receive an e-mail from Babe Ruth Coaching with a link and instructions for taking the course. Expect to spend 8 - 10 hours on the course.
Minnesota Legislature's "Concussion Law" requires online training for all coaches. The law mandates that:
- All coaches (head and assistants) and officials receive concussion training and education, then at three-year intervals thereafter.
- Coaches must remove an athlete from activity if they exhibit signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion and/or are suspected of sustaining a concussion.
The law also requires an appropriate health care professional's signature to return to play if an athlete is removed due to a concussion or is showing signs or symptoms of a concussion.
The Concussion Education recommended for coaches and officials is the online video training session developed by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the National Federation of State High Schools. This course requires registration but is free. The training process involves watching a video and then successfully completing a quiz. The entire training module can be completed in a little over a half an hour and then you can print out a certificate.
EBA requires a free background check for all coaches. Background checks must updated every 15 months.